Friday, October 15, 2010

13.1

I did it!!
But I couldn't have done it without these ladies - and Cara (not pictured). Last year Cara cheered on her sister who ran the Hartford Half Marathon and said that she wanted to run it next year - I said, "Me too!" So - a year later here we are!
Tanjua was so supportive, she told me how to treat shin splints, drove me to the race, ran with me until I had to walk, and said she'd egg my house if I wimped out.
Terri also gave me advice on shin splints and helped me believe I could get over it and keep training - then was happy and excited that morning instead of scard and jittery, like I was :). Cara's excitement that morning was soothing for me too - thank you everyone!!!
I finished! I walked a little of each mile (my plan to keep my shins from hurting) and still finished a half an hour ahead of the pace I thought I'd keep.

It was amazing. Good to set a goal and not let it slip away like so many others . . . Gregg and the kids gave me these roses later that day. He was there at the finish line with Kat and Becca - it was sooo good to see them. During the race I had set up a text message to show them where I was on the course. Knowning they knew how fast I was going and when I would finish helped me keep pushing .

My cool shirt that I haven't worn yet - I really want to, but don't really like how it looks on me - vanity, vanity . . .

I was really beat and hurting after, but it felt so good! I hope to run one marathon, once. Only once. Maybe three years from now when Becca is in school all day . . . but for now, I'm happy to have finished this :)!! Can't wait to go back to running only 13-15 miles a week!

4 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO BONNIE!!! I'm so proud of you! You look great, too. Wish me luck....Ben and I are running our half tomorrow. So not running it together, though. (He'll finish at least an hour ahead of me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Bonnie! all these years we have talked about it and you did it! What an inspiration you are to me for next year! wear that shirt when you are working out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally inspiring! Brought back memories of joggin' around the track at BYU :) Good times! I'm actually signed up for a 10K in Feb. - yes, me. First race ever. You look amazing! How is it you still look 19? Love and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you guys for going the distance!

    ReplyDelete