Monday, October 3, 2011

Late Summer Garden Yumminess

Gary and Doris had an amazing garden this year. It was wonderful to have all that fresh yummy stuff . . . At the end of the season, I had eggplant, zuchini, summer squash, tomatoes, banana peppers, and basil to use up - and I decided to make Ratatouille. I wanted it to look like the Disney version - you know from the rat movie? The main character, Remy the chef rat, serves Ratatouille to this food critic even though the other chefs call it a peasant dish. The critic of course loves it, brings back comforting childhood memories . . . Anyway, the kids always ask me to make it after they watch the movie so I thought they would eat it if I did that - go ahead and laugh . . . it didn't work - but look!





I sliced it all up and stacked it in circle rows on my grill dish. It was really pretty and did look a lot like the cartoon version! Even the kids thought so - though that didn't stop them from complaining when I made them eat it. Kathryn liked it, but she's not much of a 'kid' anymore.



The circles weren't all even sizes (the tomatoes were pretty tiny) so it's a little lopsided - but beleive me - pretty food is not my forte - so this was really nice for me!






After grilling and topped with parmesean this is how it came out. It was yummy except for the eggplant. That needs to be stewed or something, it didn't cook so well on the grill. Next year I'll cover it or wait until it cools down and roast it in the oven or maybe even just leave out the eggplant all together. The leftovers made a delicious veggie soup too.

No comments:

Post a Comment